TEDx April 2018. Talking to Strangers: How to Have a Meaningful Conversation
Do we want to be 'more' connected or 'better' connected?
In May 2018, I got the amazing opportunity of standing in front of 260 people at TEDxGoodenoughCollege in my purple trousers and telling them how I am weird and why we need to own this part of our identity, if we want others to reveal their true selves too.
I spoke about my boredom and frustration with having the same meaningless conversations on repeat, how we are not just our jobs, how conversations can change the way you see the world and how by talking to strangers you belong everywhere and anywhere, not just with friends and family.
My 5 tips for having a meaningful conversation with a stranger:
1. Be the lighthouse
2. Be curious
3. Shut up
4. Ask great questions
5. Share the real you
And I left the audience with an invitation to 'go first' - to talk to strangers in their everyday life.
Give yourself permission to start an open-ended conversation with a stranger. And share your story to show others how easy and nourishing these moments can be.
LDN Talks at Night: Quit Your Job and Follow Your Dreams
I've spoken twice at 'LDN Talks at Night: Quit Your Job and Follow Your Dreams' about my founder journey - the challenges, joy and self-discovery roller coaster involved when leaving full-time work to launch and build your passion project into a business.
What I Speak About
Here are a few suggestions... and I'm sure there are more.
- How to Talk to Strangers (inc. on the tube!)
- Being Real in Conversation
- The Curiosity Mindset
- How to Navigate Small Talk
- How to Engineer Meaningful Conversations
- The Power of Serendipity
- Connection, Belonging and Community
- Self-Love & Compassion
- Development a Resilient Mindset
- Being a Solo Female Founder
- From Idea to Launch
- Networking and Community Building
- Designing and Running Events and Workshops
- Building a Brand via Facebook and Word of Mouth
- Dealing with Stress, Self-Care, Health
- Building a Team
- Public Speaking
- Planning & Operations
- Using Intuition to Guide You